This extremely clean DSI Tempest is barely used and in like new condition, comes with original power supply and manual.
It’s a professional drum machine that generates its sounds using six powerful analog synthesis voices, and uses an innovative, performance-oriented operating system that permits an extraordinary level of control to create, edit, arrange, and manipulate beats in real time without ever stopping.
The performance-oriented operating system, ninety panel controls, and bright 256 x 64 dot OLED display work together to provide a tightly integrated, non-stop workflow.
- Record a drumbeat in real-time
- Switch to another drumbeat and use the lit pads to record it using step programming
- Switch to another drumbeat and record tuned keyboard parts
- Use the two touch controllers to record real-time note sound animations or perform beat-wide sound changes
- Use the generous sound controls to edit any of the drum sounds
- Tweak the analog effects or drum mix
- Arrange beats in real time and record the live arrangement into a song
- And all of the above without ever stopping play
Each of the six analog voices has two analog oscillators plus two digital oscillators (with a large bank of included samples), the classic Curtis analog lowpass filter with audio-rate modulation, an additional highpass filter, analog VCA with feedback, five envelopes, two LFOs, an extraordinary variety of analog modulation routings, and stunning sonic quality, warmth, and punch. Although optimized for drum sounds, it excels at tuned sounds as well, and even doubles as a six-voice analog keyboard synth.
Sixteen pressure- and velocity-sensitive lit pads are arranged in a 2 x 8 configuration, providing intuitive access to all your fingers and the ideal compromise between the popular 4 x 4 pad arrangement (popular for real-time programming ) and 1 x 16 arrangement (popular for step programming) because Tempest does both. The pads can be used to play thirty-two drum sounds (two banks), mute/unmute the thirty-two sounds on playback, play and arrange sixteen beats in real time, play one sound at sixteen tunings (in a variety of scales) or sixteen velocities, or as sixteen time steps for step programming. The ROLL button permits creating drum rolls or repeated groove patterns by varying pad pressure as the beat records, and doubles as a momentary “stutter” effect when the pads are assigned to play beats.
In addition to the six stereo direct voice outputs, there are stereo mix outputs and phones outputs, plus two inputs for foot switches or expression pedals, MIDI in/out and USB.
A variety of unique effects are provided while maintaining a pure analog signal path:
- Stereo analog compressor and distortion circuits affect the stereo output mix
- Beat-synced delay is achieved by generating additional delayed note events within the sequencer
- A beat-synced “stutter” effect is created entirely within the sequencer by looping short portions of the drumbeat on demand
The degree of swing timing can be adjusted in real time during playback. Roger used his entire bag of tricks to make the swing sound very human and natural.
- Two analog oscillators per voice capable of producing sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle, and variable pulse width square waves, with hard sync
- Two digital oscillators per voice loaded with over 450 drum samples and waveforms
- One sub-octave generator per voice (one octave below oscillator 1)
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
- One classic Curtis analog low-pass filter per voice (switchable 2- or 4-pole) with audio rate modulation, self-oscillating in 4-pole mode
- One analog high-pass filter per voice
- Analog VCAs with programmable feedback level
- Five envelope generators per voice (ADSR plus hold)
- 2 LFOs per voice
- 8 x 8 modulation matrix
- 16 pressure and velocity sensitive lit pads
- Two pressure and position sensitive touch sliders
- Stunning OLED 256 x 64 display
- Analog compressor and distortion (available on Main audio outputs)
- Sophisticated realtime sequencer
- Roger Linn Designed Swing modes
- Hardware MIDI delay per voice
- 650 Sound Program locations
- USB type B receptacle
- MIDI In, Out
- Main audio outputs: 1/4″ phone jack (unbalanced)
- 6 individual voice audio outputs: 1/4″ stereo phone jack (unbalanced)
- Two pedal/control voltage (3.3 VDC max.) input (1/4″ TRS phone jack)
- Headphone output: 1/4″ TRS stereo phone jack
- Mahogany end panels
- Dimensions: approximately 15.4″ L x 9″ W x 2.5″ H (39.1 cm x 22.8 cm x 6.4 cm)
- Weight: 6.5 lb. (2.95 kg)
- Power supply for 100V – 240V AC operation
- Operation manual